Monday, September 22, 2014

Short Biography of Radhakund's Krishnadasa Babaji (Madrasi Baba)

Download this in PDF format here:


SRI RADHAKUND´S 108 SRI KRISHNADAS BABA
(Madrasi Baba)
by
Karunamayidas
Many westerners know 108 Sri Krishna das Babaji (Madrasi Baba), as he selflessly guided
thousands of them to the main shrines around Srimati Radharani´s sacred pond, Sri
Radhakund. My first encounter with him occurred in November of 1978, and by his
kindness I was able to remain for 5 months at Radhakund. He lived there for 36 years,
from the time he received the:
diksa-mantra (This is an initiation rite in which a disciple receives the set of mantra that
form the basis of meditation on and worship of Sri Caitanya, Radha-Krsna, and their
main associates.)
and siddha-pranali (The eternal names and identities of the members of one’s initiation
lineage. These are the names they have in the eternal sport of Radha and Krsna).
initiation from Siddha Sri Sakhicharan das Babaji who was a parivara [a member of the
lineage] of Sri Narottama.
His most memorable trait was his attitude of service which was expressed by a constant
disposition to render any type of service, in particular toward the residents of
Radhakund, but also toward anyone else he met. He was cestotkuntha — always alert to
serve just for the sake of serving. Of course there are many persons endowed with such a
spirit of disinterested service in so many different fields, but Baba’s spirit of service was
prompted by an uncommon loving force which didn’t belong to this world. Although it
was evident that his entire being was floating in this magic bliss-giving love divine, I
wasn’t yet ready at that time to accept him as a guide. I was entrapped, sentimentally,
intellectually, mentally and physically, in the strong grip of numerous erroneous
conceptions about the nature of Gaudiya Vaisnavism (and Vaisnavism in general),
especially concerning its practice and the system of parampara or disciplic succession.
Unfortunately, I refused to recognize two correlative points: the uninterrupted succession
of masters and disciples and the transcendental revelation of Bhaktidevi through that
system and the idea that the internal practice of Gaudiya Vaisnavism (lilasmarana and
manasi seva) applied not only to the jivanmukta level (the soul’s state of spiritual
emancipation), but also to the conditioned one before that. Although aware of my
misconceptions, Baba still gave me shelter, located a place for me to stay, fed me, and
even nursed me during a period of sickness.
I remember that once we stood on the road just near Sri Radharamana Mandir, and
though I was harshly opposing him in some matter, a strong outburst of his
transcendental emotions hit my inner being. At that moment, much to my surprise, I
61
spontaneously told myself: ”He is my guru.” This thought rejoiced my heart, but just for a
moment, because my invasive, stained reason refused to accept it. Despite such a
handicap, a transcendental loving relationship ran between us, and I was always very
happy to be in his company. He was like the good father and I was like the bad son, but
we were still linked to each other by bonds of affection. By his mercy, Sri Radhakund,
and all the different, lovely places surrounding it, always remained deeply impressed in
my heart, even after I had left it.
Nine years later I came back motivated by an eager desire to render service to Baba and
learn something more about manjari-bhava-sadhana. Kartik month was in full swing,
hundreds of pilgrims had arrived from Bengal to celebrate it and the main program was
to go and listen to the 3 daily lectures of Pandit Sri Ananta das Babaji which Baba always
recorded and translated for us in the evening. It was very hot as usual during this period
of the year, and most of the devotees in the audience including myself didn’t wear shirts.
After a few days, during one patha [reading/lecture] I suddenly noticed that I was the
only one wearing a brahmin thread among all those swanlike, saintly devotees, and this
made me feel very embarrassed. Over the following days my uneasiness increased to such
an extent that my reason dictated to me that I should give up that brahmin thread. I
thought to myself: ”After all, I wasn’t born in a Brahmin family; so why should I wear its
insignia?”
One morning, after having passed through the sanga, I halted in front of Sri
Bankebihariji Mandir, bowed down to Sri Radhakund, sprinkled the usual 3 drops of
water in my mouth, and then deposited my brahmin thread as a offering to Sri
Radhakund. After that I felt the heavy load of my false pride related to that thread stop
haunting me like a ghost. The power of Sri Radhakund, Baba, and the assembled
Vaisnava saints had exorcised from me an infernal “spirit.” The next day Baba conveyed
to me Pandit Sri Anantadas Babaji’s congratulations for my act. As I used to sit not far
from him during his patha, he noticed that my “false brahmin’s pride” was absent from
my chest.
I didn’t have any intention of receiving diksa-mantra initiation from Baba, because I still
mistakenly thought of myself as already initiated by another guru. Nevertheless I felt like
surrendering to him, serving him closely, and learning from him the things related to
manjari-bhava-sadhana. Though I didn’t tell him anything of my intentions, somehow he
understood them, and one day to my surprise and great satisfaction, he asked me to assist
him in accompanying him to the toilet during the night and in drawing water from the
well for his wash afterwards. To my even greater satisfaction he told me that I could sleep
on the floor in his room.
Although I came now so close to Baba, I was feeling somehow disconnected with him.
Despite our mutual affection and the compatibility of our characters, I sensed that
something was missing, something necessary for there to be a real, complete relationship
62
with him. Although his two other disciples were not as intimate with him, I noticed the
presence of a very special, supernaturally personal link between them and Baba, which I
didn’t have and which intrigued me.
At one point, feeling more and more the presence of this inexplicable gulf that separated
us, I approached Baba and asked him if he would give me a new japa-mala after first
blessing it by chanting Harinama on it. His reply was a categorical no. He pointed out
that as I already had received Harinama from another guru, it wasn’t necessary that he
should also give it to me. Although I insisted, Baba didn’t change his mind, leaving me
without words and in complete despair.
Few days later, Pandit Sri Anantadas Babaji was about to start his usual reading in the Sri
Radharaman. temple. Before sitting down in the midst of the audience, I hung my rosary
bag on the washing line above my head, after completing the round I was chanting. When
the patha was over, I stood up to take my rosary bag, but to my great surprise it was
empty; my rosary had disappeared. Puzzled, I searched everywhere in the courtyard, but
without success. I immediately excluded the possibility that someone from the assembly
had taken it, because, firstly, I didn’t believe that a devotee would be interested in
stealing the mala of an other devotee and, secondly, I had been sitting under it. If
someone had taken it I would have noticed. Rather than upsetting me, however, this
incident pleased me, because now I had a good reason to ask Baba for a new mala. So I
told him what had happened and said: ”You see Baba! Now you should give me a new
mala and bless it by chanting on it. Otherwise how can I continue my Harinama?” In this
way Baba gave me a new mala. His mercy didn’t stop there, however. Some time later,
during a morning parikrama [circumambulation] of Sri Radhakund, he stopped and told
me, with tears of transcendental ecstasy in the eyes: ”I was looking for a name for you,
and the name ’karunyaghanavigraha’ came to my mind. It is a name of Srimati Radharani
which means that she is the personification of condensed mercy. She is so merciful! In his
Astottara-satanamastotra, Sri Raghunathadasa Gosvamin has named Her
Karunavidravaddeha’ or one whose body melts out of compassion. So henceforth you
can have the name Karunyaghanavigraha Dasa.” Due to the length of this name Baba
later changed it to Karunamayiyasa which basically means the same thing. Baba’s mercy
didn’t end there either, and towards the end of Niyamaseva (Kartik-vrata), he announced
to my great surprise that if I consented he would give me diksa-mantra initiation. I was
moved, although I still thought of myself as a disciple of another who was both my
vartma-pradar´saka and Harin¯ama guru. I still also wrongly believed him to be my diksa
guru. My opposition to the idea was only fleeting, because after seeing that Baba was so
enthusiastic to give me initiation, I readily agreed, not wanting to hurt his feelings by
refusing. So at a moment chosen as auspicious, the morning of the 5th of November,
Baba gave me the krsna-diksa-mantra together with the other diksa mantra. He also
explained to me their different meanings and how to conduct worship of Sriman
Mahaprabhu and Sri Sri Radha and Krsna. Obviously, he also revealed to me the names
of the uninterrupted line of gurus going back to Sri Narottama, together with their
63
spiritual identities, both in the world of Gaura and in the world of Sri Sri Radha and
Krsna. I was then officially and spiritually affiliated with that great lineage.
I have to confess that only after initiation by Baba, did I begin to understand that proper
initiation into a bona fide line of diksa-mantra transmission was not just a formality. It is
God’s created system, widely prevalent in India, through which Sadhana-bhaktidevi
[bhakti as cultivation] makes Her appearance in a candidate for prema-bhakti [divine
love].
Later Baba’s mercy extended to the point of revealing to me the details of my own
siddha-svarupa (the manjari-ekadasa-bhava or the eleven details of the manjari identity).
He also taught me his gurudeva’s gutika or manual for the practice of remembering Sri
Sri Gaura-govinda’s transcendental pastimes and the nature of my own service to them in
a mentally conceived siddha-deha [eternal body/identity]. The next step is to advance
through the different stages of this practice and ultimately to transcend this mundane

world through the blessing of manjari-bhava-prema-bhakti (the Love Divine of a gopimanjari).

No comments:

Post a Comment